Shakespeare is undoubtedly the world’s most influential poet and dramatist, "He was not of an age, but for all time!" Four centuries later, we all ask “why has Shakespeare stood the test of time?” – In an attempt to answer this question, I will list the top reasons for Shakespeare’s success.
1. Shakespeare’s skillful and psychologically-astute characterization is utterly remarkable because his work was written hundreds of years before the concept of psychology was invented.
2. He Shaped the English Language and today, we still use hundreds of words and phrases coined by him in our everyday conversation.
3. He has the ability to capture the essence of love so cleanly and succinctly.
4. He Wrote Great Dialogue , evidently he understood the power of language – its ability to paint landscapes, create atmospheres and create compelling characters.
5. Shakespeare is best known for writing the greatest love story of all time like "Romeo and Juliet". Thanks to Shakespeare, the name Romeo will forever be associated with young lovers and the play has become an enduring symbol of romanticism in popular culture. This tragedy has entertained across the generations, spawned endless stage versions and film adaptations including Baz Luhrmann’s 1996 film classic.